28 April 2010

Lives of Significance

"Significance can, of course, be a misleading description of the lives that got my attention. Significance suggests importance. It suggests lives that make a difference and that demand acknowledgment. But the lives of significance that I began to notice were not significant in any of those ways. Rather, they were lives of quiet serenity, capable of attending with love to the everyday without the need to be recognized as "making a difference." Stanley Hauerwas, Hannah's Child

1 comment:

  1. Once while walking the grounds of Norristown State Mental Hospital in the wee hours, I thought I saw that it was far more likely that I would make a significant difference in the world through my closest personal relationships and their ramifications than through any public accomplishment. -John H.

    ReplyDelete